Polson Rural Fire District Montana

Prepare for Wildfire

Defend your home from WILDFIRE.

The Polson Rural Fire District offers  

Fire Safety Inspections.

Call 406-883-4244 for an appointment.

Fire Prevention
Polson Rural Fire District
Polson Rural Fire District helps prevent fire loss and emergency calls. We offer fire prevention tips.
Plus, our crew can install Child Safety Seats.
Have a smoke detector on every level of your home. Remember to check them monthly AND replace the batteries twice a year:
The old rule of when you change your clock seasonally,
Change Your Smoke Detector Battery!

Your detector is awake for you 24 hours a day!
Do Smoke Detectors
We are committed to making a difference to Rural Polson.
Help your neighbor volunteer firefighters: Do your part !
Polson Rural Fire District (PRFD)     |     25 Regatta Rd. Suite B, Polson, MT 59860      |     (406) 883-4244
All rights reserved 2023 Polson Rural Fire District, Polson, Montana
Photo JMunson
Respect Space Heaters




Keep portable heaters and space heaters at least three feet (one meter) away from anything that can burn. Keep children and pets away from heaters, and turn off heaters when you leave home or go to sleep.

Safe Child Seat Installation

Did you know that four (4) out of five (5) Child Car Seats are installed incorrectly?


The Polson Rural Fire District offers Child Seat Inspections by appointment.


Call us at 406-883-4244 for help with safe car seat installation for infants to kids up to age 11.

Best Car Seat for your Child?


Less Than A Year Old:

Rear Facing.


More Than One Year Old,

40 pounds or less:

Forward Facing.


More than 40 lbs to 80 lbs: 

Booster Seat.




Create an Escape Plan

If a fire occurs in your home, you have to get out fast.

Work out an Escape Plan in advance.

  • Be sure that everyone knows at least two unobstructed exits - including windows - from every room. (If you live in an apartment building, use the stairs, not the elevator to escape from fire.)
  • Decide on a meeting place outside.
  • Have your entire household practice your escape plan and do it at least twice a year.

Use Outdoor Burn Permits

Permits are required in many areas of Lake County, MT. Note: Polson RFD does not issue Burn Permits. Contact appropriate agency:

Where Do I Get a Burn Permit?
On Flathead Reservation:
If a permit is issued over the phone, the Issuer can email it to you or send it to you via the US Postal Service.  
Arlee, Big Arm, Charlo, Elmo, Polson,
Ronan & St. Ignatius.

CSKT Fire Management Division
Flathead & Northern Lake Counties:
Rollins, Swan Lake, Bigfork and Ferndale:

DNRC Lake County Permits


Spring Outdoor Burning: 

May 1 – June 30*


Fall Outdoor Burning: 

September 1 – 30


*Your permit will last from the date issued through June 30 (Spring) or Sept 30 (Fall). All fires must be completely out before July 1 or Oct 1.


* Burning permits can be suspended early

due to wildfire danger!